Post 3: The Journey to Wisconsin

Google maps puts the drive from my home in Coral Springs, FL to Marsh Haven Nature Center outside of Waupon, WI at just over 1,500 miles in 22 hours. That, with an extra ~2 hours thrown on top to get from Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge (in Sanibel, FL) to Coral Springs.  Reality dictates a maximum of 10 hours of driving a day, with the exception being the first day where we won't hit the road until midday.  My father and I ended up driving in roughly 3-4 hour blocks all the way up, stopping overnight in Gainesville, FL and Louisville, KT.  It was a gloomy drive most of the way up but I enjoyed it.

Highlights include
  • Realizing that the 4G on my T-Mobile phone is far more limited outside of south Florida than I thought
  • Driving through the amazing scenic hills of Tennessee
  • Seeing the words "Welcome to Chicago" from Mayor Rahm Emmanuel, former Chief of Staff during the first Obama White House Administration
  • An awesome traffic jam in Chicago which didn't bother me the slightest since the city skyline was amazing.
  • Having great conversations with my dad about everything from politics to gas prices

No comments:

Post a Comment